Every year the Regional Scholastic Art & Writing Gold Key winners compete in NYC. This huge competition is sponsored by the Alliance for Young Artists and Writers, includes participants from all 50 states, and American students studying abroad. Alumni include artists Andy Warhol, Philip Pearlstein, Cy Twombly, Robert Indiana, Kay WalkingStick, Mozelle Thompson, Hughie Lee-Smith, and John Baldessari; writers Sylvia Plath, Truman Capote, Bernard Malamud, Marc Brown, Myla Goldberg, and Joyce Carol Oates; photographer Richard Avedon; actors Frances Farmer, Robert Redford, Alan Arkin, Lena Dunham, and John Lithgow; fashion designer Zac Posen; and filmmakers Stan Brakhage, Ken Burns, and Richard Linklater. Outside the arts, Awards alumni employ their creativity to be successful in any number of ways—becoming leaders in fields including journalism, medicine, finance, government and public service, the law, science, design, and more. In 2015, opportunities such as Alumni Microgrants and an Alumni Writer’s Residency were created.
Receiving these awards is quite an accomplishment.
The Visual Arts and Communication Arts Departments are thrilled to announce our 2019 National Scholastic Award winners!
- Katherine Bobyak (grade 11) | Gold Medal, sculpture, Ghost: A Self Portrait
- Matthew Jones (grade 12) | Gold Medal, digital art, Golden
- Meredith Little (grade 11) | Gold Medal, painting, In the Bathtub and Damp
- Ava Mas (grade 11) | Silver Medal, drawing and illustration, Plastic Sunrise
- Hannah Son (grade 9) | Silver Medal, digital, Peace of Mind
- Mariya Tacheva (grade 9) | Gold Medal, personal essay & memoir, Presence
An awards ceremony is scheduled for Thursday June 6 at Carnegie Hall in NYC!
We are thrilled that our students are being recognized for their hard work!
Please congratulate the students when you see them! Thank you for your support!